Here are the latest DNA-related news articles and blog posts for the past week. Stay on top of ALL the important DNA news here at DNA Bargains!
This Week’s DNA News You Should Know
- 23andMe: DNA testing unlocks ancestry but beware of potential drawbacks: “DNA testing can be a fun way to unlock the mysteries of your family history, but you should also think about potential pitfalls.” Click here to read more via 11 News ABC (Raleigh, North Carolina)
- Ancestry.com denies exploiting users’ DNA: “A leading genealogy service, Ancestry.com, has denied exploiting users’ DNA following criticism of its terms and conditions.” Click here to read more via BBC
- Ant & Dec trace their family roots back to cavemen for new documentary which features “unique twist: “Ant and Dec are researching their family roots as part of a new ITV documentary – back to when they were Neanderthals. The Geordie pair, Britain’s most popular TV hosts with dozens of awards, are fronting a 90-minute special Ant & Dec’s DNA Journey which pledges to “go back further in time than any show has done before.” Click here to read via The Mirror (UK)
- DNA Evidence to Connect to Your Veteran Ancestors: “Memorial Day is upon us. It’s a day to honor those who served in the military. Maybe you’re a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Sons of the American Revolution (SAR), or another lineage society. Or maybe you would like to join one of these organizations.” Click here to read more via DNA Hunters LLC
- DNA Testing at Family Reunions: “Lately, it seems to be very difficult to have any discussion on family history without mentioning three little letters: D-N-A. While family history enthusiasts and serious genealogists are flocking to testing companies like AncestryDNA to help them further their family history efforts, there are plenty of other individuals being tested who have never considered researching their family’s past. This trend reveals a nearly universal interest in what our own DNA holds, and it may be just the thing your family needs to invigorate your family history research and bind even the most skeptical among you to a common pursuit of documenting your family. What better place to start this conversation than at your next family gathering?” Click here to read more via FamilySearch Blog
- DNA testing to determine your family history can provide some surprising results: “DNA testing is a relatively new tool to determine your family history, and it can provide some surprising results, writes Elizabeth O’Neill.” Click here to read via Irish Examiner
- “Grandma Was… ” Why It’s Not Showing Up In Your DNA Results: “Is something missing from your percentages on your DNA test results? Is what your family says not matching up with what you got back? Watch to learn the top 3 reasons why this happens.” Click here or below to view this amazing video via Nicka Sewell-Smith’s YouTube channel
- Microsoft Plans on Storing Its Data on DNA in The Next 3 Years: “If we used DNA like we use magnetic tape to store data today, it’s theoretically possible to store all of the information humans have ever recorded in a space roughly the size of a double garage.” Click here to read more via Science Alert
- Testing, Testing: My DNA Results from National Geographic’s Geneographic Project: “There weren’t any surprises when I looked at the results from my Geno 2.0 Next Generation test: 99% European divided into 40% Northwestern Europe, 32% Southwestern Europe and 26% Eastern Europe. Their regions are larger and less well defined than those in my other tests but overall the results track with what I already knew based on my known pedigree and had confirmed by AncestryDNA and 23andMe. ” Click here to read more via Ancestry Island
- The lucrative rise of DNA testing: ‘we created the market for what we do’: “The market is expected to be worth £261m by 2022 and is being applied to a broad spectrum of sectors including ancestry, health and beauty, and dating.” Click here to read more via The Guardian
- What Do At-Home DNA Tests Really Tell Us? “There are many great people who work behind the scenes at FOX40. One of them is the editor for the morning show, Emmanuel Muhammad Chin, also known as “Eman.” It’s an all-inclusive name that reflects an eclectic family history. ‘My ethnic background is Caucasian, African-American, and Chinese,” said Eman. “Those are the ones we know for sure of.’ Click here to read more via Fox 40 News (Sacramento, CA)
- What Do You Do When the DNA Results Seem to be Lying?: “I have a topic that has been bugging me lately. A certain DNA testing company is advertising about their “ethnicity” reports. My previous family history results show that I am over 80% British Isles and less than 5% German. However, I know that my father (he had his test done, too) is almost 50% German/Czech. Our family history research also shows that his father must have been close to 100% German.” Click here to read more via Eastman’s Online Genealogy Newsletter
Click here to view past DNA News Updates via DNA Bargains.
Have You Checked the Latest DNA Coupons and Promos?
Don’t forget to visit our DNA Sales page for the latest coupons and promo codes to save you money! Each day DNA Bargains scours the Internet looking for any way you can save on DNA test kits, books, webinars and more! Click here to save!
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.