Here are the latest DNA-related news articles and blog posts for the past week. Stay on top of ALL the important DNA news here at DNA Bargains!
- 20 years later: Time and technology help sold baby find parents: ” It’s been 20 years since Mark Eckenrode opened his Akron Beacon Journal on Mother’s Day and learned he was adopted. A front page story featured the tale of a southern doctor who sold unwanted babies from the back door of a small clinic in the Appalachian Mountains in the 1950s and 60s.” Click here to read via Akron Beacon/Journal.
- Can Giving Paintings Their Own DNA Stop Art Forgery? :”Is your favorite piece of art legitimate? If it’s the work of a skilled forger, it may be impossible to tell. But copycats are now on notice, reports artnet’s Henri Neuendorf, thanks to a long-term effort to figure out how to give paintings their own unique DNA.” Click here to read via Smithsonian Magazine.
- Concepts – Why Genetic Genealogy and Triangulation?: “One of the questions often asked is why triangulation in genetic genealogy is so important. Before I answer that, let’s take a look at why genealogists use autosomal DNA for genetic genealogy in the first place.” Click here to read more via DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy.
- DNA Detectives Can Help Track Down The Family You Never Knew You’d Lost: “Go on the case with a genetic gumshoe who reunites birth mothers with their long-adopted children.” Click here to read more via The Daily Good.
- Down the DNA Rabbit Hole – Second Cousins: “A few weeks ago I noticed a new cousin in my father’s match list at AncestryDNA. . . .” Click here to read more via Genealogy Lady.
- Finding Lisa: A story of murders, mysteries, loss, and, incredibly, new life: “SHE WAS A WISP OF A GIRL, dressed in clothes that were faded and frayed, a few sizes too small. She had no toys, and was often hungry. She slept in the back of a red pickup truck under a camper shell with her father, a family adrift.” Click here to read more via The Boston Globe.
- How just 13 DNA snippets could identify you: “Just 13 snippets of DNA may be enough to make conclusions about hundreds of thousands of genetic markers, even those not present in the sample, possibly revealing enough to indicate personal identity information.” Click here to read more via Futurity.
- Mother and Daughter Reunited: “MyHeritage is proud to have recently reunited a mother and daughter who had been separated for over 43 years.” Click here to read more via My Heritage.
- My mom, 23andMe and the sense of belonging: “I called my mother the other day with the results of DNA testing that shows from whence we came. I read her the results. She was not surprised.” Click here to read more via the Winston-Salem Journal.
- New Gene Tests Pose a Threat to Insurers: “Pat Reilly had good reason to worry about Alzheimer’s disease: Her mother had it, and she saw firsthand the havoc it could wreak on a family, much of it financial.” Click here to read via The New York Times.
- The Science Behind AncestryDNA — #NGS2017GEN: “Julie Granka, of AncestryDNA, spoke about “Understanding the Science Behind Your DNA Results” at the 2017 National Genealogical Society Conference last week. I’m hardly qualified to report about this session, but I’ll give it a try. ” Click here to read more via Ancestry Insider.
Click here to view past DNA News Updates via DNA Bargains.
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.