Here are the latest DNA-related news articles and blog posts for the past week. Stay on top of ALL the important DNA news here at National DNA Day!
- 23andMe Is Selling Your Data, But Not How You Think: “Embedded in our genetic code is all kinds of sensitive data that could be compromising in the wrong hands. Without genetic privacy protections, the information stored in our genes might be used to discriminate against us or send us targeted ads. For these reasons, some have said we should skip out on consumer DNA tests if we value our privacy. Last week, after the FDA gave DNA testing company 23andMe the greenlight to offer consumers disease risk assessments, there was a new wave of warnings.” Click here to read – via Gizmodo
- Adoption DNA Match Strategy: Combine DNA Test Types: “Combining DNA test types can give you a better picture of your overall genealogical relationship to someone else. Combine your autosomal test results with the results of your mitochondrial DNA or YDNA test to make some amazing connections today!” Click here to read – via Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems
- CONTEST: Win an AncestryDNA Test and more at National DNA Day: GenealogyBargains.com is hosting an amazing contest with over $2,000 USD in prizes including AncestryDNA test kits and more! Click here to read – via Genealogy Bargains
- DNA Testing Solves Mystery of Young Girl Who Disappeared on Titanic: “DNA solved a 70-year-old question of whether Loraine Allison survived the Titanic crash. Many have wondered what happened to the two-year-old little girl who disappeared from the crash more than 100 years ago.” Click here to read – via Ancestry.com
- Dred Scott, Pure Blood, Race, DNA and Genealogy: “Many of the members of the larger genealogical community are now taking or have taken DNA tests from one or more of the large online service providers targeting DNA’s genealogical application. As a result of taking these DNA tests, many are surprised to learn that they have ancestry in places they never imagined.” Click here to read – via Genealogy’s Star
- Interview with Bennett Greenspan of Family Tree DNA: “In advance of National DNA Day, Bennett Greenspan, CEO of Family Tree DNA, a Houston-based company, says people’s curiosity about DNA is a natural progression from the desire to know more about our family history and its importance. ‘We can attach your DNA to the tree of mankind, which would take you all the way back to Africa, 60, 70, 80,000 years ago.'” Click below to view – via Click2Houston.com
- Jessica Biel: Challenging Family Legends with Research and DNA: “Every family has a story, and often those stories are passed down from generation to generation. But what happens when a family’s story is not JBpassed down? This proved to be the case with Jessica Biel, who recently uncovered a missing element to her Biel line’s story.” Click here to read – via Ancestry.com
Click here to view past DNA News Updates via National DNA Day.
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.