UPDATED 10:00 am CST, Monday, February 18th, 2019
Current Offers at 23andMe
23andMe: Save $50 on 23andMe Health and Ancestry DNA test kits! Special offer online via Sam’s Club . . . purchase two (2) kits, regularly $199 each, now just $347.88 – that’s $173.94 each! – VIEW DETAILS
Amazon: Purchase your 23andMe products at Amazon and get FREE SHIPPING with your Ancestry Prime membership:
DNA Tests Available at 23andMe
Currently, 23andme offers two different DNA test kit products; both are Autosomal DNA tests:
- Ancestry – retail price is $99 USD. Click here for more information.
- Health + Ancestry – retail price is $199 USD. Click here for more information.
23andme is a privately held personal genomics and biotechnology company based in Mountain View, California, founded in 2006. Click here for full description at Wikipedia.
23andMe and Genealogy Research
23andme utilizes the DNA Relative Finder on an “opt-in” basis which allows you to connect with other 23andme testers.
23andme claims: “Ancestry percentages are derived from our powerful, well-tested system that provides you with ancestry estimates down to the 0.1%.”
23andMe Ancestry Service
- Ancestry Composition
- Neanderthal Ancestry
- Your DNA Family
- See sample report
23andMe Ancestry Service + Health
- Alcohol Flush Reaction
- Caffeine Consumption
- Deep Sleep
- Genetic Weight
- Lactose Intolerance
- Muscle Composition
- Saturated Fat and Weight
- Sleep Movement
- See sample report
- Asparagus Odor Detection
- Back Hair (available for men only)
- Bald Spot (available for men only)
- Bitter Taste Perception
- Cheek Dimples
- Cleft Chin
- Earlobe Type
- Earwax Type
- Eye Color
- Finger Length Ratio
- Hair Curliness
- Light or Dark Hair
- Male Hair Loss (available for men only)
- Newborn Hair Amount
- Photic Sneeze Reflex
- Red Hair
- Skin Pigmentation
- Sweet Taste Preference
- Toe Length Ratio
- Widow’s Peak
- See sample report
Disclaimer on 23andMe Ancestry Service + Health Test
From the 23andMe website:
* Our tests can be used to determine carrier status in adults from saliva collected using an FDA-cleared collection device (Oragene·DX model OGD-500.001), but cannot determine if you have two copies of the genetic variant. Each test is most relevant for people of certain ethnicities. The tests are not intended to diagnose a disease, or tell you anything about your risk for developing a disease in the future. On their own, carrier status tests are not intended to tell you anything about the health of your fetus, or your newborn child’s risk of developing a particular disease later in life.
The Cystic Fibrosis carrier status test is indicated for the detection of 28 variants in the CFTR gene and is most relevant for people of Ashkenazi Jewish, European, and Hispanic/Latino descent. The Sickle Cell Anemia carrier status test is indicated for the detection of the HbS variant in the HBB gene and is most relevant for people of African descent. The carrier status tests related to hereditary hearing loss consist of two tests – one indicated for the detection of two variants in the GJB2 gene which is most relevant for people of Ashkenazi Jewish and European descent, and one indicated for the detection of six variants in the SLC26A4 gene.
Upgrading from Ancestry Service to Ancestry Service + Health at 23andMe
You can upgrade from the base autosomal test (Ancestry service) at 23andme to the + Health version (which includes all 65+ reports on ancestry, traits and health) for an extra $125 after you receive your 23andme Ancestry test results.
- Both tests at 23andMe use the “saliva collection” aka “spit” method.
- Approximate wait time for results is 6-8 weeks.
- The lab used for processing 23andMe DNA kits is located in the United States.
- Provides a Browse Raw Data tool to access raw testing data.
- You can participate in Mount Sinai Asthma Health and Stanford Medicine’s MyHeart Counts large-scale medical studies using Apple’s ResearchKit app.
23andMe In The News
- Customer service
- Facebook page
- Press releases and media
- Success stories
- Terms of service
- Twitter page
- YouTube page
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All content including images have been used by permission from each vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.