Current Offers at AncestryDNA
UPDATED 10:00 am CST, Monday, February 18th, 2019
- Amazon: Purchase your AncestryDNA products at Amazon and get FREE SHIPPING with your Ancestry Prime membership:
DNA Tests Available at AncestryDNA
Currently, AncestryDNA offers one DNA test kit product, which is an Autosomal DNA test. According to the AncestryDNA website: “The AncestryDNA test uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which surveys a person’s entire genome at over 700,000 locations, all with a simple saliva sample. Additionally, the new online interface integrates state-of-the art tools for you to utilize your DNA results for family history research.”
“Ancestry.com LLC is a privately held Internet company based in Lehi, Utah, United States, started in 1983. AncestryDNA is a subsidiary of Ancestry LLC.
“AncestryDNA uses a simple test to analyze an individual’s DNA. AncestryDNA offers the potential of identifying new insights into people’s ancient ancestry to help them collaborate with distant cousins and make even more discoveries into their family history.” Ancestry began selling its DNA tests in 2012.
Click here for full description at Wikipedia.
AncestryDNA Terms and Conditions
A special note is being made concerning the Terms and Conditions in force and effect for consumers and users of the AncestryDNA test kit. Recently, an inaccurate and controversial article entitled “AncestryDNA and Genealogy – Ancestry.com takes DNA ownership rights from customers and their relatives Research” by Joel Winston published at Medium.com caused much consternation in the genetic genealogy community. Read below for more perspective and an official response from AncestryDNA.
- With All Due Respect, by Judy Russell, CG, CGL, posting at The Legal Genealogist. Judy corrects various pieces of erroneous information from the Winston article at Medium.com and clarifies the AncestryDNA terms and conditions. Click here to read.
- Setting the Record Straight: Ancestry and Your DNA, is the official response of AncestryDNA to recent misinformation regarding its terms and conditions. Click here to read.
Currently, AncestryDNA just announced its new Genetic Communities feature to help facilitate research between AncestryDNA testers. According to the AncestryDNA website: “Genetic Communities are groups of AncestryDNA® members who are connected through DNA most likely because they descend from a population of shared ancestors, even if they no longer live in the area where those ancestors once lived.”
AncestryDNA Ethnicity Groups
- Native American
- Europe East
- Europe West
- European Jewish
- Finland/Northwest Russia
- Great Britain
- Iberian Peninsula
- Africa North
- Africa South-Central
- Africa Southeastern Bantu
- Ivory Coast/Ghana
- Middle East
- Asia Central
- Asia East
- Asia South
According to the AncestryDNA FAQ: “AncestryDNA uses advanced scientific techniques to produce your results. We measure and analyze a person’s entire genome at over 700,000 locations. During the testing process, each DNA sample is held to a quality standard of at least a 98% call rate. Any results that don’t meet that standard may require a new DNA sample to be collected.
Then we compare your DNA to one of the most comprehensive and unique collections of DNA samples from people around the world, to identify overlap. As our database of DNA samples continues to grow, you could receive updates with new information.”
- AncestryDNA test uses the “saliva collection” aka “spit” method.
- Approximate wait time for results is 6-8 weeks; however, with recent sales, the wait has been 3 months of more.
- The lab used for processing AncestryDNA kits is located in the United States.
- AncestryDNA claims “The World’s Largest Consumer DNA Database” with over 3 million testers.
- AncestryDNA recently added Genetic Communities feature.
AncestryDNA In The News
- Customer service
- Facebook page
- Informed consent
- Press releases and media
- Terms of service
- Twitter page
- YouTube page
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All content including images have been used by permission from each vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.