UPDATED 8:00 am CDT, Friday, November 1st, 2019
Current Offers at Family Tree DNA
NEW! FamilyTreeDNA: Save up to 40% during Thanksgiving Sale at FamilyTreeDNA! FamilyTreeDNA is holding its Thanksgiving Sale starting today through November 28th. “Give thanks. Thank those who came before you by learning more about your ancestry.”
- The Family Finder DNA test kit, similar to the autosomal DNA test kit at 23andMe and AncestryDNA, regularly $79, is now just $59! VIEW DETAILS
- Y-37 Test *: Tests 37 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $169, now just $99! Save $70! VIEW DETAILS
- Y-111 Test *: Tests 111 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $359, now just $199! Save $160! VIEW DETAILS
- Big Y-700 Test *: Big Y-700, intended for expert users, is our most advanced Y-DNA test. It analyzes ~100k SNPs and up to 700 short tandem repeats (STRs). Regularly $649, now just $399! Save $250! VIEW DETAILS
* Denotes male specific tests
- mt Full Sequence: Examines all regions of mitochondrial DNA, identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths and you get more refined results for genealogical purposes. Regularly $199, now just $139! Save $60! VIEW DETAILS
- Family Finder + Y-37 Test Bundle*: Male-specific bundle includes Family Finder plus our Y-chromosome test that analyzes 37 markers. Regularly $248, now just $149! Save $99! VIEW DETAILS
- Family Finder + mtFull Sequence: Family Finder plus a Full Mitochondrial Sequence – For both males and females, our mtDNA test traces your maternal line. Regularly $278, now just $189! Save $89! VIEW DETAILS
- Family Finder + Y-111 + mtFull Sequence Test Bundle*: This Comprehensive Genome (male-specific) test includes Family Finder, our 111 marker Y-DNA test plus a Full Mitochondrial Sequence, the most comprehensive and highest resolution mtDNA test available. Results identify the ethnic and geographic origins of your paternal and maternal lines. Regularly $637, now just $379! Save $258! VIEW DETAILS
* Denotes male specific tests
And if you’ve already tested with FamilyTreeDNA and would like to upgrade your test, click HERE to see the various discounts on upgrades.
- Amazon: FREE SHIPPING for Amazon Prime Members on DNA test kits including 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA, Living DNA and MyHeritage DNA – VIEW DETAILS
DNA Tests Available at Family Tree DNA
Basic Autosomal Test
- Family Finder – an autosomal DNA test which “provides powerful interactive tools to help find your DNA matches, trace your lineage through time and determine family connections.” Click here for more information.
For male testers only:
- Y-37 – “check for specific markers on the Y chromosome.
37 markers is a good place to start and can confirm close relationships.” Examines 37 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Click HERE for more information.
- Y-67 – “If want to know more about your paternal line through matching or participate in any of our free Group Projects, you will want to start with a Y-67 test. ” Examines 67 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Click HERE for more information.
- Y-111 – “Of most benefit for those looking to confirm Y chromosome matching at our highest level between two living men. The difference between the tests is that we test more markers (STRs) which allows for more refined results. ” Examines 11 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Click HERE for more information.
Click HERE to compare the various Y-DNA tests at Family Tree Maker.
For male and female testers:
- mtDNA Plus – “Examines two regions of mitochondrial DNA (HVR1 and HVR2). Identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths.” Click HERE for more information.
- mtFull Sequence – “Examines all regions of mitochondrial DNA. Identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths. More refined results for genealogical purposes.” Click HERE for more information.
About Family Tree DNA
“Family Tree DNA is a division of Gene by Gene, a commercial genetic testing company based in Houston, Texas and founded in 2000. Family Tree DNA offers analysis of autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, and mitochondrial DNA to individuals for genealogical purpose.” According to ISOGG, “It is the most popular company worldwide for Y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA, and the third most popular for autosomal DNA.” Click here for full description at Wikipedia.
Family Tree DNA and Genealogy Research
- Family Tree DNA has recently (April 2017) updated its MyOrigins 2.o reporting model with new reference populations. This may cause past Family Tree DNA testers to see changes in their results. “Seeing your results change does not mean that they were incorrect before, but rather, that with more research and the addition of more reference populations we are able to paint a clearer picture of your genetic tapestry. As our database grows, we are able to gain a better understanding of the unique genetic variation for each of our reference populations, and even add new reference populations to our existing regions we will share these advances with you and continue to refine your results.”
- Family Tree DNA uses Ancient Origins as part of its basic autosomal test (Family Finder). “This feature compares your autosomal DNA to DNA found at archaeological dig sites throughout the European continent.”
- The Family Finder Matching Tool requires the tester to upload basic family tree information and have at least one maternal and/or paternal link.
Click here to access the Learn to Use DNA for Your Genealogy tutorial at Family Tree DNA.
Family Tree DNA Accuracy
“The Family Finder’s relationship ranges cover most possible relationships between two people. It takes into account several factors. These include the total number of shared DNA segments (blocks) and the total number of centiMorgans (cM). For the immediate and close relationship ranges, this is highly accurate. The nature of autosomal DNA means that the expected values will vary more in the distant cousins range. This means that the ranges are wider, but they are still accurate within a given range. The speculative category is exactly that, speculative.”
Family Tree DNA Reports
Access the Family Tree DNA Experts Handbook here to learn about the various reports available for each type of DNA test and how to use them.
Family Tree DNA Miscellaneous
- All tests at Family Tree DNA use the cheek swab method to collect DNA data.
- Approximate wait time for results is four weeks.
- The lab used for processing Family Tree DNA kits is located in the United States.
- Testers can upgrade most DNA kits (more markers etc.) for an upgrade price and without sending in another sample.
- Family Tree DNA allows users to upload their DNA test results from 23andme and AncestryDNA. Click here for information.
- There are Surname, Lineage and Geographical Projects at Family Tree DNA. Click here to learn more.
- Family Tree DNA has a series of FREE webinars – click here to access.
- The Family Tree DNA Learning Center has created an excellent glossary of DNA terms – click here to access.
- You can purchase Family Tree DNA branded merchandise (t-shirts, etc.) at Cafe Press.
Family Tree DNA Resources
©2019, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.