UPDATED 9:00 am CST, Friday, December 14th, 2018
Current Offers at Family Tree DNA
Save HUGE on Family Finder DNA test kit and more at Family Tree DNA! Family Tree DNA is holding its annual Holiday Sale starting today through Monday, December 31st: “Your path to discovery begins here. Follow the path of your ancestors and discover your unique DNA story with Family Tree DNA’s industry-leading tests.”
- FREE SHIPPING! This weekend only – through Sunday, December 16th – get FREE US SHIPPING (a $6.95 USD value) on all orders! And reduced shipping for international orders and customers outside the US! No promo code needed; savings reflected at checkout – LINK
- BONUS SAVINGS! Save $15 USD on Family Tree DNA mtDNA Full Sequence test – regularly $199 USD, holiday sale price $139 USD . . . use promo code HOLIDAY15 and save an extra $15 USD! Your final price is just $124 USD – that a 38% savings! Click HERE to shop. Sale valid through Sunday, December 17th!
Family Finder On Sale for just $49 USD!
The Family Finder DNA test kit, similar to the autosomal DNA test kit at 23andMe and AncestryDNA, regularly $79 USD, now just $49 USD! BONUS: Receive an extra discount on Family Finder when you buy a bundle (see below)! – LINK
Y-DNA Test Kits On Sale!
There are even more savings when you purchase these Y-DNA test kits at during the Holiday Sale at Family Tree DNA:
- Y-37 Test *: Tests 37 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $169 USD, now just $99 USD! Save $70 USD! – LINK
- Y-67 Test *: Tests 67 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $268 USD, now just $179 USD! Save $89 USD! – LINK
- Y-111 Test *: Tests 111 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $359 USD, now just $219 USD! Save $140 USD! – LINK
- Big Y-500 Test *: Examines 500 short tandem repeats and 100K SNPs on the Y chromosome. Note: The Big Y-500 includes the Y-111 please do not remove this from your shopping cart. Regularly $649 USD, now just $499 USD!
Save $150 USD! – LINK
* Denotes male specific tests
mtDNA Test Kits On Sale!
Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is passed down almost unchanged from a mother to her children, allowing you to trace your maternal ancestry using our advanced mtDNA tests and the world’s largest mtDNA database. At Family Tree DNA, explore your maternal ancestry with mtDNA and discover the path of your female ancestors.
- mt Full Sequence: Examines all regions of mitochondrial DNA, identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths and you get more refined results for genealogical purposes. Regularly $199 USD, now just $139 USD!
Save $60 USD! – LINK
Save on DNA Test Kit Bundles and Upgrades at Family Tree DNA
Save even more at Family Tree DNA when you bundle DNA test kits!
- Family Finder + Y-37 Test Bundle*: Male-specific bundle includes Family Finder plus our Y-chromosome test that analyzes 37 markers. Regularly $248 USD, now just $143 USD! Save $105 USD! Click HERE
- Family Finder + mtFull Sequence: Family Finder plus a Full Mitochondrial Sequence – For both males and females, our mtDNA test traces your maternal line. Regularly $278 USD, now just $183 USD! Save $95 USD! Click HERE
- Family Finder + Y-67 + mtFull Sequence Test Bundle*: This Comprehensive Genome (male-specific) test includes Family Finder, our 67 marker Y-DNA test plus a Full Mitochondrial Sequence, the most comprehensive and highest resolution mtDNA test available. Results identify the ethnic and geographic origins of your paternal and maternal lines. Regularly $546, now just $362! Save $184! Click HERE
* Denotes male specific tests
And if you’ve already tested with Family Tree DNA and would like to upgrade your test check out these savings – LINK
- mtPlus to mtFull: regularly $159 USD, now just $109 USD Save $50 USD
- Y12 to Y37: regularly $109 USD, now just $69 USD Save $40 USD
- Y25 to Y37: regularly $59 USD, now just $24 USD Save $35 USD
- Y37 to Y67: regularly $109 USD, now just $69 USD Save $40 USD
- Y37 to Y111: regularly $228 USD, now just $148 USD Save $80 USD
- Y67 to Y111: regularly $129 USD, now just $89 USD Save $40 USD
- Y12 to Big Y 500: regularly $629 USD, now just $489 USD Save $140 USD
- Y25 to Big Y 500: regularly $599 USD, now just $489 USD Save $110 USD
- Y37 to Big Y 500: regularly $569 USD, now just $459 USD Save $110 USD
- Y67 to Big Y 500: regularly $499 USD, now just $399 USD Save $100 USD
- Y111 to Big Y 500: regularly $499 USD, now just $349 USD Save $100 USD
Family Tree DNA Holiday Sale Ends December 31st!
The Family Tree DNA Holiday Sale is valid through Monday, December 31st so don’t delay – this is a once a year event – LINK
DNA Tests Available at Family Tree DNA
Basic Autosomal Test
- Family Finder – an autosomal DNA test which “provides powerful interactive tools to help find your DNA matches, trace your lineage through time and determine family connections.” Click here for more information.
For male testers only:
- Y-37 – “check for specific markers on the Y chromosome.
37 markers is a good place to start and can confirm close relationships.” Examines 37 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Click here for more information.
- Y-67 – “If want to know more about your paternal line through matching or participate in any of our free Group Projects, you will want to start with a Y-67 test. ” Examines 67 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Click here for more information.
- Y-111 – “Of most benefit for those looking to confirm Y chromosome matching at our highest level between two living men. The difference between the tests is that we test more markers (STRs) which allows for more refined results. ” Examines 11 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Click here for more information.
Click here to compare the various Y-DNA tests at Family Tree Maker.
For male and female testers:
- mtDNA Plus – “Examines two regions of mitochondrial DNA (HVR1 and HVR2). Identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths.” Click here for more information.
- mtFull Sequence – “Examines all regions of mitochondrial DNA. Identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths. More refined results for genealogical purposes.” Click here for more information.
About Family Tree DNA
“Family Tree DNA is a division of Gene by Gene, a commercial genetic testing company based in Houston, Texas and founded in 2000. Family Tree DNA offers analysis of autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, and mitochondrial DNA to individuals for genealogical purpose.” According to ISOGG, “It is the most popular company worldwide for Y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA, and the third most popular for autosomal DNA.” Click here for full description at Wikipedia.
Family Tree DNA and Genealogy Research
- Family Tree DNA has recently (April 2017) updated its MyOrigins 2.o reporting model with new reference populations. This may cause past Family Tree DNA testers to see changes in their results. “Seeing your results change does not mean that they were incorrect before, but rather, that with more research and the addition of more reference populations we are able to paint a clearer picture of your genetic tapestry. As our database grows, we are able to gain a better understanding of the unique genetic variation for each of our reference populations, and even add new reference populations to our existing regions we will share these advances with you and continue to refine your results.”
- Family Tree DNA uses Ancient Origins as part of its basic autosomal test (Family Finder). “This feature compares your autosomal DNA to DNA found at archaeological dig sites throughout the European continent.”
- The Family Finder Matching Tool requires the tester to upload basic family tree information and have at least one maternal and/or paternal link.
Click here to access the Learn to Use DNA for Your Genealogy tutorial at Family Tree DNA.
Family Tree DNA Accuracy
“The Family Finder’s relationship ranges cover most possible relationships between two people. It takes into account several factors. These include the total number of shared DNA segments (blocks) and the total number of centiMorgans (cM). For the immediate and close relationship ranges, this is highly accurate. The nature of autosomal DNA means that the expected values will vary more in the distant cousins range. This means that the ranges are wider, but they are still accurate within a given range. The speculative category is exactly that, speculative.”
Family Tree DNA Reports
Access the Family Tree DNA Experts Handbook here to learn about the various reports available for each type of DNA test and how to use them.
Family Tree DNA Miscellaneous
- All tests at Family Tree DNA use the cheek swab method to collect DNA data.
- Approximate wait time for results is four weeks.
- The lab used for processing Family Tree DNA kits is located in the United States.
- Testers can upgrade most DNA kits (more markers etc.) for an upgrade price and without sending in another sample.
- Family Tree DNA allows users to upload their DNA test results from 23andme and AncestryDNA. Click here for information.
- There are Surname, Lineage and Geographical Projects at Family Tree DNA. Click here to learn more.
- Family Tree DNA has a series of FREE webinars – click here to access.
- The Family Tree DNA Learning Center has created an excellent glossary of DNA terms – click here to access.
- You can purchase Family Tree DNA branded merchandise (t-shirts, etc.) at Cafe Press.
Family Tree DNA In The News
Family Tree DNA Resources
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All content including images have been used by permission from each vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.