UPDATED 9:00 am CDT, Friday, April 20th 2018
Current Offers at Family Tree DNA
Family Finder just $49 USD and save up to 40% on other DNA test kits at Family Tree DNA! Family Tree DNA is holding an AMAZING National DNA Day Sale with some SWEET prices on DNA test kits and bundles!
“Save up to 40% on our top selling DNA tests during our DNA Day Sale. See yourself through your DNA and bring your unique family history into focus.”
Regularly $79, now just $49 USD! Sale valid through April 28th. Click HERE to shop – via Family Tree DNA
DNA Test Kit Bundles On Sale!
There are even more savings when you bundle the Family Finder DNA test with other DNA test kits at Family Tree DNA:
- mtFull Sequence: Examines all regions of mtDNA, identifying your maternal haplogroup and migration path. Regularly $199, now just $146! Save $50!
- Y-37 Test *: Tests 37 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $169, now just $139! Save $30! Click HERE
- Y-67 Test *: Tests 67 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $269, now just $209! Save $59! Click HERE
- Y111 Test *: Tests 111 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $359, now just $289! Save $70! Click HERE
- Big Y-500 Test *: Tests 500 markers. Explore your paternal lineage and follow the ancient migration path of your male ancestors. Regularly $799, now just $649! Save $150!
- Family Finder + Y-37 Test Bundle*: Our Family Finder + Y-37 bundle allows you to explore your deep paternal ancestry and migrations. Regularly $248, now just $179! Save $69!
- Family Finder + Y-67 Test Bundle*: Allows you to explore your deep paternal ancestry and migrations and all that Family Finder has to offer. Regularly $347, now just $249! Save $98!
- Family Finder + mtFull Sequence Test Bundle: Allows you to explore your deep maternal ancestry and migrations and all that Family Finder has to offer. Regularly $278, now just $189! Save $89!
- Family Finder + Y-67 + mtFull Sequence Test Bundle*: Provides a view into your paternal/maternal ancestry and all that Family Finder has to offer. Regularly $546, now just $398! Save $148
* Denotes male specific tests
Sale valid through April 28th. Click HERE to start shopping – via Family Tree DNA
DNA Tests Available at Family Tree DNA
Basic Autosomal Test
- Family Finder – an autosomal DNA test which “provides powerful interactive tools to help find your DNA matches, trace your lineage through time and determine family connections.” Base price is $89 USD. Click here for more information.
For male testers only:
- Y-37 – “check for specific markers on the Y chromosome.
37 markers is a good place to start and can confirm close relationships.” Examines 37 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Base price is $169 USD. Click here for more information.
- Y-67 – “If want to know more about your paternal line through matching or participate in any of our free Group Projects, you will want to start with a Y-67 test. ” Examines 67 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Base price is $268 USD. Click here for more information.
- Y-111 – “Of most benefit for those looking to confirm Y chromosome matching at our highest level between two living men. The difference between the tests is that we test more markers (STRs) which allows for more refined results. ” Examines 11 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome. Base price is $359 USD. Click here for more information.
Click here to compare the various Y-DNA tests at Family Tree Maker.
For male and female testers:
- mtDNA Plus – “Examines two regions of mitochondrial DNA (HVR1 and HVR2). Identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths.” Base price is $79 USD. Click here for more information.
- mtFull Sequence – “Examines all regions of mitochondrial DNA. Identifies basic haplogroup and migration paths. More refined results for genealogical purposes.” Base price is $199 USD. Click here for more information.
About Family Tree DNA
“Family Tree DNA is a division of Gene by Gene, a commercial genetic testing company based in Houston, Texas and founded in 2000. Family Tree DNA offers analysis of autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, and mitochondrial DNA to individuals for genealogical purpose.” According to ISOGG, “It is the most popular company worldwide for Y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA, and the third most popular for autosomal DNA.” Click here for full description at Wikipedia.
Family Tree DNA and Genealogy Research
- Family Tree DNA has recently (April 2017) updated its MyOrigins 2.o reporting model with new reference populations. This may cause past Family Tree DNA testers to see changes in their results. “Seeing your results change does not mean that they were incorrect before, but rather, that with more research and the addition of more reference populations we are able to paint a clearer picture of your genetic tapestry. As our database grows, we are able to gain a better understanding of the unique genetic variation for each of our reference populations, and even add new reference populations to our existing regions we will share these advances with you and continue to refine your results.”
- Family Tree DNA uses Ancient Origins as part of its basic autosomal test (Family Finder). “This feature compares your autosomal DNA to DNA found at archaeological dig sites throughout the European continent.”
- The Family Finder Matching Tool requires the tester to upload basic family tree information and have at least one maternal and/or paternal link.
Click here to access the Learn to Use DNA for Your Genealogy tutorial at Family Tree DNA.
Family Tree DNA Accuracy
“The Family Finder’s relationship ranges cover most possible relationships between two people. It takes into account several factors. These include the total number of shared DNA segments (blocks) and the total number of centiMorgans (cM). For the immediate and close relationship ranges, this is highly accurate. The nature of autosomal DNA means that the expected values will vary more in the distant cousins range. This means that the ranges are wider, but they are still accurate within a given range. The speculative category is exactly that, speculative.”
Family Tree DNA Reports
Access the Family Tree DNA Experts Handbook here to learn about the various reports available for each type of DNA test and how to use them.
Family Tree DNA Miscellaneous
- All tests at Family Tree DNA use the cheek swab method to collect DNA data.
- Approximate wait time for results is four weeks.
- The lab used for processing Family Tree DNA kits is located in the United States.
- Testers can upgrade most DNA kits (more markers etc.) for an upgrade price and without sending in another sample.
- Family Tree DNA allows users to upload their DNA test results from 23andme and AncestryDNA. Click here for information.
- There are Surname, Lineage and Geographical Projects at Family Tree DNA. Click here to learn more.
- Family Tree DNA has a series of FREE webinars – click here to access.
- The Family Tree DNA Learning Center has created an excellent glossary of DNA terms – click here to access.
- You can purchase Family Tree DNA branded merchandise (t-shirts, etc.) at Cafe Press.
Family Tree DNA In The News
Family Tree DNA Resources
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All content including images have been used by permission from each vendor.
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.