UPDATED 9:00 am CDT, Tuesday, September 4th, 2018
DNA Tests Available at Living DNA
Currently, Living DNA offers one DNA test kit, which is a combination of three different DNA tests: autosomal, mitochondrial (maternal line or mTDNA) and Y-DNA (paternal line). Note: in order for the Y-DNA results to appear, the tester must be male. “Fatherline results are only available to males, as women don’t have a Y chromosome.”
Click here for more information.
About Living DNA
Living DNA is a collaboration of over 100 world-leading scientists, academic researchers and genetic experts. The team is led by DNA Worldwide Group, a DNA testing company, whose services are used by every court in the UK. The company is run by David Nicholson and Hannah Morden who saw an opportunity to show humanity that we are all made up of all of us, dissolving the concept of race. It was launched in 2016 after two years of intensive development but its parent company DNA Worldwide Group has been operating since 2004, and employs over 35 people from its head office in Somerset, UK.
Click here for the About page at Living DNA.
Living DNA and Genealogy Research
Currently, Living DNA DOES NOT allow you to match with other Living DNA testers on their site. Although not yet available, Living DNA states that testers will be able to download the raw data and upload it to other DNA sites to look for matches. Click here for more information.
Living DNA Worldwide Ancestry Regions
- South and Central Africa
- East Africa
- North Africa
- Nilotic Peoples
- Armenia and Cyprus
- North Turkey
- South Turkey
- Northern Central Asia
- Northwest Caucasus
- Indian subcontinent
- Southern Central Asia
- Southeast Asia
- South China
- North China
- Southwest China
- Japan and Korea
- Northeast China
- Mongolia and Manchuria
- Finland and Western Russia
- Southeast Europe
- Northeast Europe
- West Balkans
- East Balkans
Europe (North and West)
- Northwest Europe
- Scotland and Ireland
- England and Wales
- North Italy
- Iberian Peninsula
- South Italy
- Indigenous North America
- Indigenous South America
Great Britain and Ireland
- Aberdeenshire (approximately Aberdeenshire, Angus, Fife, Moray areas)
- Central England (approximately Warwickshire / Bedfordshire / Leicestershire / Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire, Northamptonshire / Staffordshire areas)
- Cumbria (approximately Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway areas)
- East Anglia (approximately Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambrigeshire / Essex areas)
- Lincolnshire (approximately Lincolnshire / Nottinghamshire areas)
- North Wales (approximately Powys / Ceredigion / Gwynedd / Conwy / Anglesey / Wrexham areas)
- North Yorkshire (approximately North Yorkshire / East Riding of Yorkshire areas)
- Northwest England (approximately Lancashire / Merseyside / Cheshire / Staffordshire areas)
- Northwest Scotland (approximately Highland / Argyll and Bute / Stirling / Perth and Kinross areas)
- Northumbria (approximately Northumberland / Tyne and Wear / Durham / Scottish Borders / Fife areas)
- Orkney Islands
- South Central England (approximately Somerset / Wiltshire / Oxfordshire / Berkshire / Gloucestershire / Warwichshire areas)
- Southeast England (approximately Surrey / Sussex / Kent / London / Hertfordshire / Essex)
- South England (approximately Dorset / Wiltshire / Hampshire and surrounding areas)
- Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland (approximately Northern Ireland / Dumfries and Galloway / Ayrshire / Lanarkshire and surrounding areas)
- South Wales Border (approximately Herefordshire / Worcestershire / Shropshire / W Midlands and surrounding areas)
- South Wales (approximately Pembrokeshire / Carmarthenshire / South Powys / Swansea / Glamorgan / Monmouthshire areas)
- South Yorkshire (approximately South Yorkshire / West Yorkshire areas)
Living DNA Accuracy
According to the Living DNA website: “Living DNA uses the world’s most advanced DNA testing technology – a custom version of the latest Illumina Global Screen Array (GSA) chip. Each of the 650,000+ markers encoded on our Orion chip is represented at least 15 times, allowing us to present your results to a high precision and accuracy.” Click here for more information.
Living DNA Miscellaneous
- The DNA test kit at Living DNA uses the cheek swab method of collecting DNA.
- Approximate wait time for results is 10-12 weeks.
- The lab used for processing MyHeritage DNA kits is located in Denmark and US kits are mailed to a Louisville, Kentucky address for forwarding.
- Currently, Living DNA is the only DNA test kit that can “break down the UK to a regional level, if you have ancestry within Britain and Ireland.”
- For an additional charge, Living DNA testers can order a personalized printed book – “The Story of Your Ancestry” – for an additional charge.
- Living DNA offers its testers the opportunity to participate in the Living DNA Global Research Project which “has been setup to look at genetics to help understand how all humans are all connected, and the role genetics has in relation to our health and lifestyle.”
- Free access to future upgrades: “Free ongoing upgrades in the ancestry platform. If in the future, we are able to provide finer detail within our existing regions, your results will be updated automatically.”
Living DNA In The News
Living DNA Resources
- Customer service
- Facebook page
- Press releases and media
- Terms of service
- Twitter page
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All content including images have been used by permission from each vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.