Listed below are various webinars and educational opportunities related to DNA testing, genetic genealogy and related topics.
Click a heading to go to that section!
Upcoming Legacy Family Tree Webinars
Note: Click here to register for multiple upcoming webinars at Legacy Family Tree Webinars
Note: many webinars are free to attend and then the recording is available for either site members or to purchase as a digital download after the event.
DNA Digital Downloads
A digital download could be a cheat sheet, a reference guide or a recorded webinar with handouts.
Shop Family Tree
Many of the live webinars held at Family Tree University are recorded and sold as digital downloads at Shop Family Tree. Use promo code SFTTHOMAS17 at checkout to take 10% off your order. Note: this discount may not apply to already discounted items or to specific items. Click here for offer.
Hack Genealogy Boot Camps
- Getting Started with DNA and Genealogy Boot Camp presented by Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters LLC and moderated by Thomas MacEntee. “Have you taken one or more DNA test, but really haven’t made an effort to start using the information for genealogy research? Also, are you sure you used the right type of DNA test or the best DNA testing vendor? Lately, so much has changed in the DNA landscape. If one of your genealogy goals is to really “up your DNA genealogy game” and make a solid commitment to using DNA and connect with other testers then the Getting Started with DNA and Genealogy Boot Camp is for you!” Click here for more information – via Hack Genealogy
- Additional DNA Tools and Concepts presented by Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters LLC and moderated by Thomas MacEntee. “Have you been using the information learned about autosomal DNA in the Getting Started with DNA and Genealogy Boot Camp? Or maybe you missed the first boot camp, but you have a basic understanding of using DNA for genealogy research. Are you ready to advance to new tools such as those offered on the free website, GEDMatch? GEDMatch has additional tools for analyzing your DNA results. It also lets you find new matches! And what about using other types of DNA test such as Y-DNA, mitochondrial DNA, and X-DNA in your research? Additional DNA Tools and Concepts Boot Camp is probably the perfect way to learn more about DNA testing and genealogy.” Click here for more information – via Hack Genealogy
Upcoming DNA Conferences
- Advanced Genetic Genealogy – Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh
July 16-21, 2017
La Roche College, Pittsburgh, PA
Course Coordinator: CeCe Moore; Additional Course Instructors: Blaine Bettinger, Ph.D., J.D., Brianne Kirkpatrick, MS, LGC, and Karen Stanbary, CG. Click here for information.
- Genetics for Genealogists – Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research (IGHR)
July 23-28, 2017
University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education, Athens, GA
Course Coordinator: Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL
“This course covers all of the types of DNA (Y-DNA, mtDNA, X-DNA, and atDNA) needed to incorporate genetic evidence into a genealogical study. Sessions are organized around the workflow used to answer genealogical questions related to branches of the same family. The hands-on exercises and case study sessions will focus on incorporating DNA into a family study. Later exercises build on the earlier ones. Emphasis is on how DNA can strengthen a genealogical conclusion when correlated correctly with documentary evidence.” Click here for information.
- FGS 2017 Conference – DNA Workshops
September 1-2, 2017
Connecting the DNA Dots
Presented by Blaine Bettinger PhD, JD, Angie Bush MS, Diahan Southard
Friday, September 1stUsing Genetics and Genealogy to Smash Through Brick Walls
Presented by Blaine Bettinger PhD, JD, Angie Bush MS
Saturday, September 2ndClick here for more information.
- A Practical Approach: Establishing Genealogical Proof with DNA – Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy
January 21-26, 2018
Hilton SLC Center, Salt Lake City, UT
Course Coordinator: Karen Stanbary, MA, LCSW, CG
“A Practical Approach: Establishing Genealogical Proof with DNA” is designed for genealogists who are familiar with traditional genealogical research strategies and are interested in learning how to incorporate DNA test results into relationship proofs. This course will cover Y-DNA, mitochondrial DNA, and autosomal DNA testing, analysis, correlation and interpretation. Examples will incorporate the three major testing companies and many tools available for analysis and correlation. Hands-on exercises and case studies will be used to demonstrate how DNA analysis can confirm and expand a pedigree. The emphasis is on the use of DNA test results to solve genealogical brick wall problems using the Genealogical Proof Standard. Participants will leave the course with atDNA analysis software installed with their own data and the skills needed for continuing analysis. Click here for information.
Updated June 13, 2017
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All content including images have been used by permission from each vendor.
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.