DNA Do-Over 2018 Topics
Click HERE to download the PDF version of this article.
[Editor’s Note: our sister site Abundant Genealogy has just started a FREE DNA education initiative entitled DNA Do-Over. Here is an announcement for the program and a list of DNA-related topics to be reviewed during 2018.]
Here is the list of topics to be covered during the DNA Do-Over beginning in January 2018. As you review the topics please keep these things in mind:
- This is a curated list based on research of current DNA topics and issues and with the input of DNA expert Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters LLC.
- The list is representative of core areas of aptitude required for basic successful understanding of DNA testing and how to use it for genealogy research. Your mileage may differ . . . meaning that your specific research projects may warrant different areas of concentration in terms of skill building.
- Participants and viewers may agree or disagree with the topics or the order of the topics; feel free to add or remove topics that you feel are not relevant to your specific research projects.
- Each month, a post will appear at Abundant Genealogy covering the DNA Do-Over topics. Posts will include tips, advice and resources. Each week at the DNA Do-Over Facebook Group we will review issues related to the monthly topic via interactive online discussions.
DNA Do-Over Facebook Group and More
An interactive collaborative community for the DNA Do-Over has been created on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dnadoover/. Those hoping to participate in the DNA Do-Over are encouraged to join. Just like the entire DNA Do-Over program, there is no fee or “upcharge” for this collaborative environment.
DNA Do-Over Topics
Month 1: January 2018:
Downloading your DNA Test Results and Uploading to Other DNA Vendor sites
- The importance of downloading your DNA test results; file formats; backing up data
- Uploading your DNA test results to other DNA testing sites – why you should do this and how to do it!
- Which DNA testing sites allow uploading of DNA test results and which don’t
Month 2: February 2018
Autosomal DNA – What You Can Do with the Data
- Why testing Autosomal DNA FIRST is important
- How to determine how much Autosomal DNA you share
- Determine Autosomal DNA matches and sorting your matches
Month 3: March 2018
Y-DNA, mtDNA and X-DNA Tests – And What You Can Do with the Data
- What is X-DNA and how to use it to understand Autosomal DNA matches
- What is Y-DNA and how to use it
- What is mtDNA and how to use it
Month 4: April 2018
DNA Lingo: SNPs, centiMorgans, and Haplogroups, Oh My!
- A basic glossary of DNA terminology
- Breaking down the “science” of DNA and how it can help genealogy research.
Month 5: May 2018
DNA and Relationships: What Can You Believe?
- Understand the different types of cousins and other relatives
- Are the relationship categories accurate?
- Testing multiple siblings
- Which DNA test can help sort out two possible mothers, fathers, grandmothers etc.
Month 6: June 2018
Connecting and Communicating with DNA Matches
- The best way to locate matches and the best way to connect.
- How to get new DNA testers to connect and look for matches.
Month 7: July 2018
Setting Up and Administering DNA Projects; Family Reunions and DNA Testing
- What is a DNA Family Project and which sites are best for administering large and small projects?
- How do I get other relatives to do a DNA test?
Month 8: August 2018
DNA and Health Testing – What’s It Worth?
- What health information can I learn from DNA testing? And is accurate?
- How can health information via DNA testing impact my descendants and other family members?
- Which companies offer health testing via DNA tests?
Month 9: September 2018
Using Third Party Tools for DNA (GEDMatch, DNA Gedcom’s DNA Client & Autosomal DNA Segment Analyzer); DNA Education
- What are the best third-party DNA tools and how do they work?
- Is it worth paying for a third-party DNA tool?
- How can I expand my DNA knowledge through education?
Month 10: October 2018
Ethnicity Estimates; Other DNA testing companies and making smart buying decisions
- Are ethnicity estimates accurate? How far back do they go?
- Are there certain DNA testing companies to avoid? Are there new DNA testing companies offering new or different services?
- How to compare DNA tests and shop smart
Month 11: November 2018
Additional DNA Testing – What Should I Do Next?
- Beyond Autosomal DNA testing – why should I test Y-DNA and/or mtDNA?
- Should I hire a DNA expert or company to help with my DNA research?
Month 12: December 2018
Privacy and DNA
- What are the privacy policies for each DNA testing company and how do they differ?
- How is my DNA testing data being used by DNA testing companies and third-parties?
- How can I protect my privacy when testing DNA?
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.