Get personalized, actionable health risk insights with Genetic Insights at-home DNA test
Genetic Insights is for those who want to superpower their DNA test results and go beyond genealogy and family history research success. You deserve to know as much as you can to help prevent future health problems. Genetic Insights* is a health screening offering that helps you to identify health risks based on your genetics.
You’ll receive a kit to collect a saliva sample at home. The kit includes a prepaid FedEx mailer bag to send your saliva sample back to a Quest lab. Note: Saliva-based DNA tests are just as accurate as blood-based DNA tests.
About the test
Genetic Insights can identify the most common DNA variants that may put you at higher risk for important inherited health conditions like breast cancer, colon cancer, high cholesterol, and heart problems.
This test may be right for you if:
- You’re interested in learning how your unique DNA may affect your current or future health
- You have a family history of certain health conditions and want to know if you have one of the genetic variants we test for
This test might not be right for you if:
- Your doctor or genetic counselor has told you that you need a genetic test to diagnose a certain condition
- You’ve had a stem cell or a bone marrow transplant from a donor
Genetic Insights: What’s included?
This test comes with a lot more than just your DNA lab results. Here’s what’s included:
- Clear next steps so you know exactly what to do next, based on your DNA and your family history
- Easy-to-understand genetic health reports
- Access to online genetic counseling—at no extra cost
- A lab report to share with your doctor
- A family tree template to chart your family health history
Reports everyone can learn from
You’ll be able to view your results in clear, easy-to-read reports on your personalized Genetic Insights dashboard.
If a variant is found, you have the option to get more personalized advice from a genetic counselor—at no extra cost. People who talk to a genetic counselor are almost always happy they did.
And if you get the best result of all—no DNA variants found—you’ll still learn something new about genetics and your health.
How does Genetic Insights work?
Using a saliva specimen, Genetic Insights analyzes 36 genes to identify potential risk of nearly two dozen inheritable conditions, including breast and colon cancer; a number of heart and blood disorders; and carrier status for cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, and Tay-Sachs disease. Designed to address gaps in existing consumer genetic tests, the new test is powered by advanced next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology*, which can analyze thousands of DNA variants in genes associated with disease and looks at more regions in a person’s genome than microarray testing technology.
“Genetic Insights goes beyond the typical consumer genetic test. The Quest team spent the past couple of years innovating not just the test, but the entire consumer experience to deliver comprehensive, complex genetic health data in a way that is digestible and actionable to the end user,” said Dr. Sarah South, PhD, FACMG, Executive Scientific Director of R&D for Molecular Genetics and Oncology, Quest Diagnostics. “The use of NGS is a crucial distinction, because NGS-based tests are uniquely able to identify a wider range of genetic conditions and keep pace with new genetic discoveries.”
A uniquely guided user experience
Individuals who purchase Genetic Insights at questhealth.com will receive an at-home saliva-collection kit and ship back their sample to Quest Diagnostics for analysis in one of the company’s state-of-the-art laboratories. An independent physician orders the test for the individual, provides personalized information about the link between the genetic findings and the individual’s health status, and is available to discuss the individual’s questions. Test results will be available within three to five weeks.
Each kit includes an activation code to unlock access to a personalized, secure interactive Genetic Insights online dashboard, where users can:
- Gain an overview of the Genetic Insights experience and access easy-to-understand educational materials on various conditions for which there could be risk;
- Provide relevant personal and family health history via a secure questionnaire, supporting results interpretation by the ordering physician;
- Track the status of each test kit, from sample collection to testing to results delivery;
- Chart family health history via an easy-to-use template that can be downloaded and shared with the individual’s doctor;
- Access highly visual, personalized genetic health reports designed to break down complex genetic information into a digestible, actionable format. Reports include information on genes tested, test limitations, key takeaways, and suggested next steps based on DNA and family history;
- Schedule a one-on-one phone or video session with a third-party board-certified genetic counselor—available at no extra charge—to discuss results and what they mean, address any questions, and help map next steps.
* This test is for anyone 18+ who wants to better understand and stay ahead of certain genetic health risks. Purchases not currently available in: AK, AZ, HI, and NY.
Quest empowers consumers by making affordable, high-quality, trusted healthcare easy. With innovative tools, we give consumers more control over their own healthcare journeys and meet them where they are, supporting both consumers and their care teams. Our consumer-initiated test service allows people access to the same quality lab tests used by doctors and hospitals, providing the information and insights they need about their health. With more than 75+ lab tests available at questhealth.com, from general health profiles to tests for conditions ranging from heart health to sexually transmitted diseases, consumers can shop, schedule test appointments, and access results securely from a phone or computer.
About Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnostics empowers people to take action to improve health outcomes. Derived from the world’s largest database of clinical lab results, our diagnostic insights reveal new avenues to identify and treat disease, inspire healthy behaviors and improve health care management. Quest annually serves one in three adult Americans and half the physicians and hospitals in the United States, and our nearly 50,000 employees understand that, in the right hands and with the right context, our diagnostic insights can inspire actions that transform lives. www.QuestDiagnostics.com.
Sign Up for Genealogy Bargains E-News!
@2023, copyright Thomas MacEntee, all rights reserved.