Learn What to Look for in a DNA Test and Don’t Get Burned on Cyber Monday!
UPDATED 8:00 am CST, Monday, November 26th, 2018
Remember you can visit DNA Bargains for the latest, up-to-date coupons and promo codes on Cyber Monday. PLUS click HERE to get your FREE copy of the best-selling DNA Buying Guide by genealogy author and educator Thomas MacEntee.
So, the Cyber Monday sales on DNA test kits are here with some of the lowest prices ever! If you are planning on purchasing a DNA test kit for yourself, as a gift, several tests for family members, or have a specific testing need, here is the best strategy as you navigate all the Cyber Monday offers on DNA.
Which DNA Test Kit Companies are the Best?
While this might be a matter up for discussion, keep in mind that there are many “fly by night” or disreputable companies jumping on the bandwagon. You don’t want to spend good money on a test and not get results useful for genealogical research. The short list below are our recommended vendors in alphabetical order (not ranked otherwise):
- UPDATED! 23andMe: Save up to $100 USD during Cyber Monday Sale at 23andMe. 23andMe for Ancestry, regularly $99 USD, now just $59 USD. 23andMe DNA for Health + Ancestry, regularly $199 USD, now just $99 USD when you purchase 2 or more. Sale valid through 12:00 pm PST Tuesday, November 27th – LINK
- UPDATED! Amazon: FREE SHIPPING for Amazon Prime Members on DNA test kits including 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA, Living DNA and MyHeritage DNA – LINK
- AncestryDNA: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA – LOWEST PRICE EVER for AncestryDNA – just $49 USD! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- AncestryDNA Australia: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA Australia
– just $88 AUD! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- AncestryDNA Canada: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA Canada – just $69 CDN! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- AncestryDNA UK: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA UK – just £49! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- Family Tree DNA: Family Finder just $39 USD during Black Friday Sale – huge discounts on Y-DNA, mtDNA and bundles too! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- Findmypast DNA: Black Friday Sale with HUGE Savings! Just $59 USD,
$79 CAD, £59, €69 and $99 AUD Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- Living DNA: Save up to 40% during Living DNA Black Friday Sale – regularly $99 USD, now just $69 USD or purchase 2 or more kits for $59 USD each! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- UPDATED! MyHeritage: Cyber Monday Sale – MyHeritage DNA just $49 USD plus FREE SHIPPING with promo code FREE18! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
All of the vendors above – often called the “Big Five” offer legitimate, well-reviewed and reliable DNA test kits for personal use. In addition, these vendors work with the various genealogy and family history communities and listen to their research needs. Their test data can be downloaded and in most cases uploaded to other DNA sites. These vendors also, for the most part, offer matching with other customers who have tested their DNA.
WARNING: NEVER pay more than $99 USD for a basic autosomal DNA test. Do not work with vendors who offer severely discounted tests such as $29. Beware that some DNA tests are “basic” and then charge you for results interpretation.
Should I Buy Before Black Friday, on Black Friday, or After Black Friday?
Now let’s deal with the timing issue. The information for this article is current as of the date and time listed in red at the top . Black Friday is Friday, November 23rd and Cyber Monday is Monday, November 26th. The holiday shopping season runs through December 24th, 2018, but there may also be “after Christmas” or “New Year’s” sales running through January 1st, 2019 and beyond.
Recommendations on When to Buy Your DNA Test
- Purchase AncestryDNA TODAY Cyber Monday. The current price is just $49 USD – that’s 50% off. There is a LIMIT of 5 tests per purchase (and per email) with no free shipping deals. However, there may be shipping incentives either on Cyber Monday or as Christmas approaches. Keep in mind that AncestryDNA is the best-selling test and the “big muscle” in the DNA genealogy industry. Offer valid through Monday, November 26th. Click HERE to purchase AncestryDNA.
- Purchase Family Tree DNA Family Finder NOW; purchase other FTDNA tests at any time. The Family Finder autosomal test is marked down to just $39 USD. Other DNA tests (Y-DNA, mtDNA, etc.) are up to 40% off as well during the Family Tree DNA Thanksgiving Sale. Offer valid through Monday, November 26th. Click HERE to purchase Family Tree DNA.
- Purchase 23andMe on Cyber Monday. Right now the 23andMe Ancestry Service test kit, a basic autosomal test is just $59 USD and the Ancestry Service + Health is 50% off on TODAY ONLY (Cyber Monday). Regularly $199 USD, it is available for just $99 USD when you purchase 2 or more kits! Offer valid through 12pm PST, Tuesday, November 27th. Click HERE to purchase via 23andMe.
- Purchase MyHeritage DNA test kit now. The current Cyber Monday price for MyHeritage DNA’s basic autosomal test is just $49. Get FREE SHIPPING when you use promo code FREE18 a checkout. Offer valid through Monday, November 26th. Click HERE to purchase MyHeritage DNA.
- Amazon Prime Members get FREE SHIPPING. If you have an Amazon Prime Membership, many of the sale prices above are also available on Amazon. It might be a better deal to use Amazon since you can even get FREE ONE DAY SHIPPING in some areas. Click HERE to shop for DNA test kits on Amazon.
Which is the Best DNA Test Kit to Purchase on Cyber Monday?
Again, each person has specific needs when it comes to DNA testing and there are many factors to consider. Here is the recommended strategy for different types of consumers:
- Anyone interested in family history should purchase an AncestryDNA test. With over 10 million users available for matching, Ancestry is the best-selling DNA test kit in the world. More importantly, you cannot upload DNA test data from other programs to Ancestry so you will need to use their site for matching. You can, however, download the AncestryDNA test data and upload it to other sites such as MyHeritage, Family Tree DNA and Living DNA.
- Purchase advanced tests at Family Tree DNA. This is a “no brainer” since FTDNA really is the only vendor selling specific types of tests for multiple markers. Remember to check your testing needs! Some of the tests such as Y-37, Y-67 and Y-111 are intended for male testing subjects ONLY – make sure you don’t waste your money on a test you can’t use!
- Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage use the same lab – which to choose? Both tests are currently priced in the $39 USD to $49 USD range and they do, in fact, get processed at the same lab. Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage DNA provide basic matching services to DNA testers. Family Tree DNA currently charges a $19 USD fee to get added features (including Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and ancientOrigins) if you want to upload DNA test data from another vendor. MyHeritage does not currently charge to upload outside DNA test results, but will begin charging a fee starting December 1st, 2018. MyHeritage is a better choice if your ethnic background is euro-centric since many of its users are based in Europe and you will find better matches at MyHeritage.
- If you are testing older relatives, go with a swab test not a spit test. Your best bet is to avoid AncestryDNA which uses a spit test since many older people have trouble producing enough saliva for the test. Use Family Tree DNA as well as MyHeritage DNA which require two swab samples, and one is kept on file for future use.
- If you have British ancestry, you should purchase Living DNA. Currently on sale for just $69 USD and £69 GBP, Living DNA is the only DNA test vendor showing a detailed breakdown of British heritage. Click HERE to purchase Living DNA (US) and click HERE to purchase Living DNA (UK).
- If you are purchasing in bulk, use Family Tree DNA or MyHeritage. With a price of just $39 USD for Family Tree DNA and $49 USD for MyHeritage, these tests are perfect for family reunions and get-togethers. However, keep in mind that MyHeritage at just $49 USD currently has free shipping which makes it cheaper than AncestryDNA or other tests.
Remember to do your homework this Black Friday shopping season when it comes to shopping smart and getting the most value out of a DNA test kit for genealogy and family history research. ALWAYS visit DNA Bargains at https://dnabargains.com for the latest deals BEFORE you click that checkout button!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All content including images have been used by permission from each vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved